This is a paste-like mixture that is absolutely amazing on any type of roast beef – prime rib, strip loin roasts, sirloin tip roasts, etc. This is a favorite of ours for holiday meals, and it is quick and easy.
Here’s what you’ll need (will vary according to size of roast):
- 1/3 C. fresh ground black pepper
- 1/3 C. kosher salt
- 1 – 4.5 oz. jar of Spice World minced roasted garlic
- 1/2 C. prepared horseradish
- 1 Tbsp granulated onion
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped rosemary
- 1/3 C. extra-virgin olive oil
- Wired Probe Thermometer
- Combine all ingredients except for olive oil in a small mixing bowl.
- Once combined, slowly begin to add the olive oil and keep mixing. You want the mixture to be like a wet paste, but not overrunning with olive oil. To much olive oil and the mixture will not form a crust when it goes into the oven.
- Doing the presentation side last, rub a thin coating of the mixture on the roast. Do not rub it on thick or it will not dry out in the oven to form a crust.
- Wrap the roast in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Place roast in a shallow roasting pan on a rack.
- Insert a wired probe thermometer into the thickest part of the roast. Using wired thermometer will prevent you from having to open the oven to check the internal temperature.
- Put roast into 500 degree oven uncovered for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, reduce cooking temp to 250 degrees and roast until desired doneness is reached. I shoot for 135 degrees, which after resting, yields a perfect medium roast.
- Allow to rest 10-15 minutes before slicing